Friday, May 05, 2006

First Lady Straddles Issue Like A Pro

Not that I want to continue to discuss the silly debate, as I said in an earlier post, about whether the national anthem should be sung in English; but in that post I gave Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice credit for having a sensible opinion regarding the issue. So, to be fair I have to give Laura Bush credit for giving the most political response when asked about it. In a CNN - The most trusted name in news, interview yesterday she said, "I don't think there's anything wrong with singing it in Spanish." When reminded by CNN reporter John King that her husband has a different opinion, she said, "I think it should be sung in English, of course." Now there's someone who knows how to straddle both sides of an issue. There's video here.

As I listened to her speak in the interview, clear coherent speech, and with the fact that she's been making appearances lately because she's one of the few people left in the White House more popular than she is not, you have to wonder why she isn't the politician in the family. She could teach the President a thing or two. Then again, maybe she's tried.

No comments: